L.M. Montgomery
“Life is worth living as long as there's a laugh in it.”
L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

Sunday, February 8, 2015

The Oncology center

Thursday was my first visit to the oncology center. I was very surprised that it seemed to run as a separate entity from the hospital and it's very new bright and calm. The waiting area has nice new comfy chairs, big windows and a calm atmosphere. 
The one thing I noticed, as I sat there waiting for my appointment was that everyone waiting was OLD, like 60+. I really didn't feel like I belonged there. 
 
When my turn came Louise, the dr.'s nurse asked me a series if questions and took my weight and height. She was very very very nice, and made me feel very comfortable.

When doctor Whitlock came in I was very nervous, he was very nice and explained everything to me clearly. 

What he said: it is not uncommon for people with this type of lymphoma to have it in other areas of the body, they did find some in areas in my pelvis and stomach.
 What does this mean? Well not much, it means it's still there, but growing slowly. 

He also told me that prognosis for people who start chemo early vs those who waited until it was necessary was the same. The thing is that once you do chemo, the second time it has to be a stronger chemo. 

This being said we are opting for a "watch and wait" approach. I will watch my symptoms closely, and have a CT scan every 6 months. 

How do I feel about this?

Well at first I was a little upset, it all seemed very anti-climactic. How could I just wait around to take care of this?

However the more I thought about it the more relieved I was. It's like in getting more time, time to take care of myself physically, emotionally and financially.

I can take this time and get ready- prepare myself for the day when I have to have chemo. 

My plan is to concentrate of clean eating, exersize and spending time with family.

I'll keep this blog updated with how I feel, what's going on and any other news regarding my health. ;) 


1 comment:

  1. Hi Jessica! I am sorry you had to hear the scary "you have cancer" news but happy that you know have a plan and that I helped in any way. Thanks for reading my blog and reaching out, you've inspired me to add an update soon! The "watch and wait" approach is pretty common with lymphomas, and I wonder how much easier the recovery after chemo would have been for me if I had time to prepare ahead of time. Great way to look at it! If you haven't, consider checking out Stupid Cancer (theyre on facebook) it is a group for Young Adults dealing with cancer, might help with the "I was the youngest one there" feelings. Good luck to you!!

    ReplyDelete