L.M. Montgomery
“Life is worth living as long as there's a laugh in it.”
L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

Saturday, March 7, 2015

So when are we going for coffee?

I wasn't sure if I was going to post anything about my cancer on FB. I really didn't want to seek attention or make a big deal out if this, but at the same time there were so many people I wanted ro inform. People I have known for a long time that I have loved and still love who I know would want to know what's going on with me.

So I took the plunge and I posted a link to my blog on FB, I wasn't really sure why to expect, but I certainly didn't expect what happened. 

I got an outpouring of support from so many people, people who were hidden in all the tiny corners of my life. I received words of encouragement from almost every one including old friends, new friends, old bosses, old coworkers and old schoolmates.

The best example of this is my recent discovery in my mailbox. A group of old girl friends Of mine who live in Nova Scotia decided to send me what is probably the best piece of mail I have ever gotten. 

For some context- back in 1999  a few girls from NS and a few girls from NB al lived together in one room of a shitty 2 bedroom apartment in Banff. We were all 18 and 19 years and we spent all our money on booze and never had anything to eat. Eventually we came home, and kept in touch. Some of us have moved back out west, others stayed out east, most of us (all of us?) had babies and we all live fairly normal lives now.

When a few of the girls heard about my cancer, they got together and made me this:


We're sending you a little angel your way
To wath over you each and everyday
Your friends in Nova Scotia are wishing you luck
And sending their love 
Because cancer sucks

To often we say "oh we should get together" and "I haven't seen her/him in so long I should call them" but we don't. 

We remember people from our past fondly, remember how they made us feel but we just don't take the time from our daily lives to re-connect.

This whole experience has made me realize how important it is to re-connect with people and make them realize what they mean to me, and the impact they have had in my life. 

My new goal is to re-connect with people as much as possible, taking every opportunity I have to do so. 

I think everyone should try and re-connect with an old friend. You may be surprised at how easy and rewarding it is :) 

So, when are we going for coffee? 


No comments:

Post a Comment